Saturday, March 11, 2017

Sweet Sixteen

When did I blink? I certainly must have blinked because I am having difficulty believing that sixteen years have passed since my precious baby boy was born. Who gave him permission to grow up so quickly? And, who said he could now tower over me in height? I can remember the day he was born like it was yesterday. It was a Friday in March. I had spent all of Thursday night in the hospital but my son just didn't want to come into this world. I had a C-section on a snowy Friday. He was born at 4:28 pm and weighed 9 lbs. 13 oz. and was 21 in. long. He had all 10 toes and 10 fingers, an adorable button nose, and scored a nearly perfect APGAR score. I was overjoyed and feeling blessed beyond measure!


Visiting his great-grandma shortly after he was born


At age eleven, my son was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome, which is also referred to as high-functioning on the Autism Spectrum. We felt relieved at having a name for the symptoms we had been seeing that didn't correlate with the ADHD he had been diagnosed with at age eight. We were grateful for the resources and people who came into our lives to provide services that would help all of us adjust to life with Autism. My son will tell you Autism makes him special. Autism makes him different because his brain works differently than other people's brains. I'm thankful that he has a mainly positive attitude about his Autism.


In Disneyworld, age 8


I love watching his brain work and seeing the world anew through his eyes. His perspective is unique and he often sees things that I miss or simply overlook. Life becomes new and fresh through his eyes. My son also has a spirit of perseverance. I'm proud of him for that and his zealous faith.


My boy and his favorite Christian artist, Toby Mac


My son may struggle with math. He may never drive a car. Yet, he is amazing just as he is. I know God will continue to guide him and I trust that God has special plans for my sweet boy that will bring him hope and a future. Happy, sweet sixteenth birthday, my precious boy! Dare to dream! Trust God with all of your heart, mind, and soul. Be kind to others. Keep persevering! Simply keep being you: special, loved, unique!


Celebrating my boy on his 16th birthday

No comments: