Sunday, April 17, 2022

He Is Risen


 

The stone was rolled away from the tomb and His body was gone. Where is His body? Someone must have stolen Him! Where could He be? These must have been the thoughts running through the minds of the women who went to care for Jesus' dead body. Luke 24:4 tells us that the women pondered this.


Angels appeared to them and asked, "Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: ‘The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.’ ”Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here; he has risen! Remember how he told you, while he was still with you in Galilee: ‘The Son of Man must be delivered over to the hands of sinners, be crucified and on the third day be raised again.’” (Luke 24:5-7)


There is the importance of Jesus rising on the third day. Firstly, the Talmud or Jewish burial practice required that a dead body be checked on the third day to ensure the person was truly dead. Putrefaction, or decay, of the body would have begun. This is why Jesus lingered when Lazarus died. After four days, Jesus knew Lazarus would truly be dead. Mary questions Jesus when He asks for the tomb to be opened because she knew that after four days of death there would be an awful stench coming from the tomb. Jesus had waited to ensure no one could deny His raising of Lazarus was a miracle.


Jesus predicts His third day Resurrection twenty-one times in the New Testament. Do you think He felt it was important for us to understand? I do! God was creating new life and covenant (eternal life through the ultimate sacrifice of Jesus and His subsequent Resurrection) with those who believe and confess their sins. 


Jesus already did the hard work! Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Silent Saturday, and Resurrection Sunday are all about Jesus. I choose Jesus! Do you choose Jesus? He is my hope, my joy, my Savior! He gave me the greatest gift. One I didn't earn nor can I buy it. Simply, it is a gift of unfathomable, endless, unyielding grace, mercy, and love. He gave my all for me when I had nothing. How can I give Him any less than my all? 

No comments: