Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Act Justly, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly with God: A Treasured Moments Devotional


 A Treasured Moments Devotional © ~ May you find God's love, hope, peace, and encouragement in each of these treasured moments I share.
 
Well-known and highly respected Evangelist Billy Graham recently stated, "...our nation will hold one of the most critical elections in my lifetime. We are at a crossroads and there are profound moral issues at stake. I strongly urge you to vote for candidates who support the biblical definition of marriage between a man and a woman, protect the sanctity of life and defend our religious freedoms. The Bible speaks clearly on these crucial issues. Please join me in praying for America, that we will turn our hearts back toward God." (The Washington Post, October 22, 2012) This morning, as I have been praying for our nation and political leaders as well as for wisdom and discernment for myself as I place my vote during today's election, I am reminded that not only do I have a responsibility as a citizen of the United States of America to actively make my voice heard and exercise my Constitutional rights but I also have an even greater responsibility as a child of the one, true God to act justly and seek truth. God's word clearly states this edict in Micah 6:8,  "And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Too many important issues are being raised in this election for me to disregard the facts and the consequences that will follow if ungodly men and women are placed in roles of leadership within our government's democratic system.
Our forefathers came to this great nation seeking religious asylum. They built America and our governing laws with God at the center. They stood by their faith, doing what was just, showing mercy, and walking humbly with their God. How can I do any less? Billy Graham also stated, "The legacy we leave behind for ... this great nation is crucial." (Amarillo Globe News, November 5, 2012) As I place my vote today, I am not only acting as a citizen and a Christian but I am also developing my son's future. The actions we all take today will significantly impact the lives of future generations. As I ponder the question of "What type of legacy do I want to leave my child?" I am once again called to act justly, to seek truth, to show mercy, and to humbly follow and exemplify the edicts of my God.
Prior to casting your votes today, I urge each of you to spend time in prayer and reflection. Allow God to speak to your heart and guide your decision. As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord today by choosing candidates who's morals coincide with God's word. Blessings to each and every one of you!

No comments: