Sunday, December 16, 2018

Advent: Week Three


The theme for the third week of Advent is Joy. I think of the old hymn chorus "I have joy unspeakable and full of glory." When we have God in our hearts, shouldn't we be filled with His indescribable joy? Let's be honest, though, sometimes it is difficult to grasp on to joy. According to the Merriam Webster Dictionary, joy is an emotion, a feeling of bliss, a state of happiness, a cause of delight.

Joy is a choice. One way we can choose joy is to count our blessings: no matter how small or insignificant they may seem. Another way to find joy is to spend time in God's presence. When I open my heart to Him in worship and praise, He fills me with His wondrous grace. His joy is effervescent and fills me until it spills over. I can't contain it. And, I deliberately choose joy even as chaos rages around me and the storms of life threaten to overwhelm me. As the song says, "ain't nothing gonna steal my joy!"



"The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him." Psalm 28:7

"But let all who take refuge in you be glad; let them ever sing for joy. Spread your protection over them that those who love your name may rejoice in you." Psalm 5:1

"Splendor and majesty are before him [God]; strength and joy are in his dwelling place." 1 Chronicles 15:27



The third candle of Advent is often referred to as Mary's Candle in honor of the virgin mother. This is why the third candle is rose or pink in color. Mary's trust in God is amazing! According to Jewish tradition, she could have been as young as twelve when she was betrothed to Joseph. We know she was a virgin because of Luke 1:26, 27 which state "...God sent the angel Gabriel to Nazareth, a town in Galilee, to a virgin pledged to be married to a man named Joseph, a descendant of David. The virgin's name was Mary." Furthermore, Mary asks the Angel Gabriel how she can have a child in Luke 1:34; "'How will this be,' Mary asked the angel, 'Since I am a virgin?'"



Mary's faith and trust in God are evident in Luke 1:38; "'I am the Lord's servant,' Mary answered. 'May your word to me be fulfilled.'" Wow! A young, teenaged Mary doesn't balk at what God is asking of her. In those days, unmarried women who became pregnant could be shunned by family and friends or even stoned to death for their sins. Yet, Mary had a strong faith in God. She believed His promises to be true and knew He would never leave her nor forsake her.



The third candle of Advent is also referred to as the Shepherds Candle, which makes sense since the angels brought the shepherds news of great joy. "And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.'" Luke 2:8-12 I love that the first people to hear the good news of Jesus's birth are the lowly shepherds in the fields. Kings felt threatened by this tiny baby but to others Jesus symbolized God's promises fulfilled, hope, and joy.



Prayer:

Father God, we thank You for the precious gift of Your beloved Son. We are grateful that Mary chose to believe in Your love for her and the mighty plans You had for her life. Help us to remember her complete trust in You. Father, we thank you that the good news of great joy is still true today. Help us to prepare our hearts for the birth of Your Son. When our world gets chaotic and we feel overwhelmed, help us to choose Your joy. Remind us of Your amazing blessings in our lives. Fill our cups to overflowing and let Your joy in us be contagious. For our hope is in You, God! Amen!

No comments: