Sunday, December 2, 2018

Advent: Week One



Today marks the start of Advent: a time of anticipation and expectation. Advent is one way we can prepare our hearts to celebrate the birth of our Savior Jesus Christ.

The first candle of Advent represents Hope. When life seems overwhelming when the storms threaten to blow us down when we feel we can't press on one more step, God sent Jesus to be our hope. Hope is trusting that someone [Jesus] will be able to help us, It is also a feeling that something good will happen. (Merriam Webster Dictionary)

"Guide me in your truth and teach me, for you are God my Savior, and my hope is in you all day lone." Psalm 25:5

"Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord." Psalm 31:24

The first candle for Advent is also referred to as the Prophets Candle for it was the prophets of old who foretold the birth of a Savior.

"When Israel was a child, I loved him, and out of Egypt I called my son." Hosea 11:1

"But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from old, from ancient times." Micah 5:2

"For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

"Here is my servant, whom I uphold, my chosen one in whom I delight; I will put my Spirit on him, and he will bring justice to the nations." Isaiah 42:1

"In his name the nations will put their hope." Matthew 12:21

Prayer:

Father God, we thank you for the amazing plan you had to save us from our sinful ways and give us Your hope all of those years ago. We thank you for coming to earth in the form of a tiny, humble, vulnerable baby. We thank you for sacrificing your one and only Son, Christ Jesus, to bring us hope and give us life eternal. Thank you for your deep love for us. Help us to keep our eyes focused upon you and the hope you provide us. Fill our hearts as we prepare to make room in our hearts for your Son. Let us celebrate our hope in you through Christ Jesus this Advent season and beyond. Amen!




No comments: