Thursday, January 30, 2020

Wonderfully Made

On a recent episode of NBC's New Amsterdam, they tackled the very real and heart wrenching topic of body shaming with grace and dignity. In Season 2 Episode 12: 14 Years, 2 Months, 8 Days, a patient has to be seen for an infection. She has recurring infections to both arms because she has been using stockings in an attempt to hide the sagging skin that resulted from her weight loss. She bares her heart and states that people stare more at her now then when she was fat.

As I watched the episode with my family, tears streamed down my face. My heart ached for this beautiful woman who was hurting. Like her, I have excess skin on my upper arms due to weight loss. I have been body shamed by strangers and loved ones alike. The difference is that I know I am God's beloved child. 

Psalm 139:13-14 tells me and you, "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." God created each one of us with love and care. He made us for a plan and a purpose (Jeremiah 29:11 paraphrased). You and I are His unique creations. We are His Beloved children. To Him, we are precious and priceless. 

It can be difficult to believe these truths when the world around us tells us we aren't good enough. When we see beautiful, young women on TV and social media who appear flawless. Don't allow satan to use these lies to ensnare you. You are worth something. Everyone is. Each of us has a story to share that will help others and bring God glory. Furthermore, no one is flawless. Romans 3:22 states, "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." 

As believers, we are called to "encourage one another and build each other up." (1 Thessalonians 5:11) I encourage each one of us, myself included, to encourage one another. Truly be there for others. Utilize the art of listening. Tell someone what you admire most about them. Small acts of kindness can make a huge impact.

Let's pray: 
Papa God, we ask that You heal the wounds in each one of us. As You mend us, please allow Your light to shine through our brokenness and bring You glory. Help us to be mindful of our words and deeds. Help us to build up one another and be encouragers. For those who feel unloved, unwanted, unworthy, or not good enough, I ask that You please hold them close to You. Help them to see themselves as You do: worthy, loved, cherished, longed for, and more than enough. In Jesus' name, Amen! 

No comments: