Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Really, God? Seriously?

Have you ever had one of those days when you find yourself asking, "Really, God? Seriously?" Well, you aren't alone, my friend.

I'm reminded of a cousin who as a toddler needed to pee. Being at an outdoor flea market, the only bathroom available was a port-a-potty. Upon seeing this new contraption, she flung her arms and legs out wide and screamed, "Nooooooooooo!!!!" at the top of her lungs.

Sometimes, we are like that toddler: kicking and screaming, telling God: "Noooooo!!!!!" at the top of our lungs.

Today, I find myself preparing for today's five hour IV infusion, facing meltdowns from my teenage son who has a diagnosis of Aspergers (high functioning Autism), dealing with my father's dementia that causes his patience to run thin and his frustration to run high, and listening to our dog who feels the need to yap through it all. Sometimes, Mom and I feel like we are living in a blender. The reality is that life can be downright hard and unbearable at times. Our human flesh is weak, which makes us prone to asking, "Really, God?" Yet, God is standing there offering us His love, His mercy, and His grace.

It is at these precise moments that we see His grace working at its best because in His great love for us, God is fighting our battles for us and He longs to fill our lives with what is good and just even when we are reluctant because we don't have the strength to persevere. Guess what? We don't have to rely on our own strength! He will carry us through!

Life can be downright hard and unbearable at times for all of us: broken relationships, betrayals, lies, distorted self-images, chronic illness, chronic pain, mental illness, watching loved ones suffer, abuse (verbal, emotional, sexual, and physical), death of loved ones, loss of income, loss of home, loss of family and friends.

God never promised us that life would be like walking through a rose garden on bright sunny days. However, He did promise to be with us, to be in us, to be for us, and to be fighting for us. No matter what you are facing today, you are not alone. Even when we ask, "Really, God?" He continues to work in us and through us, fighting our battles for us, and simply loving us through whatever the day brings.

Rest in His love, dear ones. Trust in His grace. Look for His blessings in the simplest of places. There is always hope!

"For it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose." Philippians 2:13 (NIV)

"I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you...you will realize that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you." John 14:18,20 (NIV)

"What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?" Romans 8:31 (NIV)

"The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still.” Exodus 14:14 (NIV)

"I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us." Romans 8:18

"But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me." 2 Corinthians 12:9 (NIV)

Who Am I by Casting Crowns

I Am a Friend of God by Phillips, Craig, and Dean

#LifeIsAFaithJourney

No comments: