Monday, April 1, 2013

I'm Choosing to Lay My Burdens Down: A Treasured Moments Devotional

At times, the chaos of daily life can be overwhelming. I will admit that some days, I manage to get through the day with dignity and grace. Other days, I feel stress building. Truthfully, the burdens begin to weigh heavily at times.

Being a person who treasures the written word, I decided to conduct a study of the word stress. Stress refers to force, influence, pressure, and strain on our physical and mental well-being. Did you also know it refers to suffering, pain, affliction, sorrow, danger, discord, and heartache? It also means burden, trial, tribulation, and trouble.

Yet, Jesus offered hope amidst the chaos and stress. In John 16:33, Jesus states, "“I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”

While Jesus plainly admits that we will face pain, sorrow, suffering, heartache, discord, danger, trouble, and burdens during our time here on Earth, He also offers us hope through His redemption on the cross. He died that we might have eternal peace with the Father who loves us more than we could ever imagine. 

The next time I feel overwhelmed by the chaos of life, I am going to lay my burdens down at the feet of Jesus as I remember that He overcame the power of death and the world that condemned Him.

No comments: